Air pollution can reach high levels in Brussels and Flemish Brabant . It is like an insidious poison, often invisible to the naked eye. In order to tackle air pollution, it must be made visible, therefore it is crucial that citizens monitor air quality themselves. This is why Luchtpijp was born. We offer citizens, associations and municipalities activities and tools to raise awareness around air quality.
Luchtpijp provides workshops and activities that municipalities and organisations can order to create awareness around air quality. How about joining us for a workshop where residents can build air monitors themselves? Or lectures about "Quality air", or workshops for children and walk tours over the air pollution levels in the city? Well, you can find all this at Luchtpijp.
With Luchtpijp we want to raise awareness about clean air. The activities are participative and allow people to come together and reflect on air quality. The technology we use is open source and the data that the activities provide is accessible to everyone. This way our residents become a sort of citizen scientist themselves.
Our goal: as many citizen measurement stations as possible in Brussels and Flemish Brabant!
The project is based on the knowledge of Luftdaten.info, initiated by OK Lab Stuttgart. Today, these sensors are used in 26 European countries. In the Netherlands, InfluencAir, HackAir and LeuvenAir are already working on this. Influencair and Leuvenair have already laid a solid base in Brussels and Leuven with dozens of citizen measuring stations.
Now we are gearing up and we want to add at least 500 more! With civic monitor stations, we complement the official measurement points provided by the Brussels and Flemish governments. You can help us by hanging a monitor on your façade or balcony!
What will we do with the raised budget?
The collected amount will be used to purchase the parts, to pay for the preparations and packaging of the air monitor kits and to carry out the promotion required to make the initiative widely known. With the remaining budget, we’ll organize in 2019 feedback moments to analyze and discuss the results together. This way the participants can stay in contact with each other if they wish so.
- 10 € (unlimited): Air support - You will receive a poster and a digital guide on Clean air. You will be invited for a feedback moment with a free welcome drink in March 2019.
- 35 € (unlimited): DIY – Air monitoring tube - Do you wish to build your own Do-It-Yourself air tube that measures particles? Then we have the ideal construction kit! The kit contains all the needed parts, neatly packed in a box, and the construction guidelines. You’ll assemble the monitor, then connect it to WiFi at home and you're done! From then on you can check at the online map, the amount of dust matter that exists in your neighborhood or municipality. Kits can be picked up from December at several pick-up points in the district. Can’t wait? Discover our activities at www.luchtpijp.be , and you’ll find how you can immediately build an air monitor station with us.
- 75 € (25): Children 'Clean air' workshop - Building an air monitor with tetra Brik, petroleum jelly, a string and then check the air quality with a micro lens on your smartphone? This is possible at the children workshop. We will deliver you a kit that contains all the needed devices in order to work with a maximum of 25 children.
- 125 € (10): Air walk tour - In addition to continuously measuring the air quality on a specific spot, air quality also depends on where we go. You will see this exposure perfectly during a walk with an air dust monitor. Together, we will design a tour and along with our guide we will provide you and your group of friends, (maximum 25 people) an unforgettable walk of two hours.
- 325 € (10): Air monitor kit - Workshop for 5 people - Do you prefer not to work with a building kit yourself? Do you have a local neighborhood committee, association or staff group with whom you want to build air monitor stations? Then we offer a five people workshop. Our coach will guide you during the workshop and explain you the basics of air monitoring. Do you need more than 5 kits? No problem, € 35 is charged per extra kit. A workshop can count up to 25 participants.
- 500 € (15): Air monitor kit - Workshop for 10 people - Do you prefer not to work with a building kit yourself? Or do you have a local neighborhood committee, association or staff group with whom you want to build meters? Then we offer this workshop for ten people. Our coach will guide you during the workshop and explain youthe basics of air monitoring. Do you need more than 10 kits? No problem, € 35 is charged per extra kit. A workshop can count up to 25 participants.
- € 1100 (unlimited): 30 Air monitor kits to distribute to family and/or acquaintances. - Are you as a company or organization looking for an ideal end-of-year gift for staff or relations? Then purchase a set of 30 kits. We will wrap these kits in a holida package. Companies or organizations that purchase such a kit can receive an entry as a supporting partner on our project page and website.
- 2000 € (3): Air kit + Workshop for 50 people - Do you want to have an awareness activity with your staff company or organization during a teambuilding session? The workshop "Monitoring Air" for 50 people is the right thing? for you. You’ll have two coaches during the construction process. The participants will receive beforehand our air quality guideline as well as the citizen science guideline. Companies or organizations that order this workshop will get an entry as a sponsor on our project page and website.
- If you wish to contribute by bank transfer, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and we will provide you with all information.
A project of
- Beweging.net Brussel-Halle-Vilvoorde
- CM Sint-Michielsbond
Thanks to our partners: